Monday, August 18, 2014

Head Math

I'm a Baby Boomer, and when I was growing up, I counted my pennies before I went to the corner store. I needed to be sure I could afford those 5 pretzel sticks at 2 cents each, or that piece of bubble gum at 1 cent each, and that licorice twirl at 1 cent each. Money was tight, so when our parents gave us a few pennies or a whole dime, it was a big deal. My friends and I learned to count our pennies carefully. We hated for the store clerk to say, "You don't have enough money for this."
I found myself counting my pennies again today because I forgot to put shopping money in my wallet before I went to the farm market. I needed kale, nectarines, apples, and bananas to make my green smoothies this week. I put each piece of fruit into my cart and was about to splurge on a basket of fresh strawberries. A small voice in my head said, "Sylvia, check how much money you have." I did. I only had 10 one-dollar bills in my wallet. So, I reverted to my growing up shopping habit. I did head math and counted my pennies to determine if I could pay for the fruit in my cart. I figured that my bill was under 5 dollars. I could afford the strawberries. Nice!
Do you also use head math when you shop?
Smiles,
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment