Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mending

A young lady relative approached me with a pair of slacks. The inseam had come apart, so she wasn't able to wear them. She asked, "Do you think I should take these to a tailor shop and have them sewn?"
My reply was, "They just need to be stitched back together, the opening is only about 5 inches. A running stitch will do it, but a back stitch would hold better. Can't you just sew them yourself and save some money?"
She said, " I don't know how to sew them."
Her facial expression showed me that she was serious. Of course, I sewed them for her, and we'll soon have a date for me to teach her how to sew a couple of mending stitches.
This event made me think of how, long ago, mothers or grandmothers or junior high school home economics teachers prepared young people with basic life skills for when they were to be on their own. My sister knows how to stitch mend, and I think my brothers do also. (Of course, one of them is an exceptional clothing designer, so he knows more about it than the rest of us!)  My husband knows how to stitch mend, too. I wonder if it's a Baby Boomer thing. 
Do you know how to stitch mend?  Do your children know how?
Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment