Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Sudden Cry

I was an elementary school classroom teacher in an urban school district for more than 30 years. Most teachers I know are clear about the instinct to protect our students. In our school, we protected them from aggressive dogs that wandered onto the playground, from bullies, and from some parents who wanted to give them physical discipline in the classroom. We teachers shielded them from shady persons who occasionally slipped into the building. We sometimes had to protect them from other students or the bigger siblings of other students. I've faced many circumstances in defending and shielding students, but I never had to face an assault rifle.
Yesterday, I thought I was dealing with the news concerning the little children and school staff tragedy in CT. I  prayed when I heard about it on Friday. At church on Sunday, we prayed for all involved. But yesterday, the event came across the television screen with the faces and names of those now stilled. Suddenly, this teacher burst into tears.
Still praying,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment