Monday, August 12, 2013

Another One Gone

Recently, I read another local news article about gun violence and murder. This one had a special impact, because the young man barely in his 20's was one of my former 3rd grade students. This isn't the first time I've read bad news about one of my former students, but each time I do, it hurts. I prefer to see news reports about former students who've been accepted into educational programs/colleges. I smile when I read about former students who announce graduations, marriages, mentoring, and humanitarian efforts. I feel great when former students see me in the city and tell me about their jobs and that their families are doing well. Many teachers and others who work regularly with children develop a sense of : he or she is one of my kids. We know they don't really belong to us, but we also know we are responsible for these students for most of the day for at least 180 days for one school year.
When I read that article about my former 3d grader, I went to my file of old school class pictures and found the photo with the young man in it. There he sits cross legged in the front row, hands folded obediently, eyes gazing intently at the camera lens. Now, he's gone. So sad.
Take care,
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment