Monday, August 5, 2013

Burgers From The Lab

I just saw part of a news report about a hamburger grown in a lab from cow cells. It seems scientists took muscle cells from some organic cows and put them into a solution in a petri dish. The cells grew into strands of meat. It took thousands of these strands, bound together with some flavorings and other ingredients, to form a burger. The burger looked like a regular burger. Experts tasted the burger today. They reported that it didn't taste quite the same as a regular burger, but the consistency was quite similar. I think one taster said it was a little dry. Research is expected to continue.  Much of my beef-eating days are behind me, but I have maybe 2 or 3 burgers a year. However, this concept takes some adjusting for me. Meat grown in a petri dish. I suppose it will save cows.  Science marches on.
Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment