Monday, June 16, 2014

Sister Survivors

Have you ever decided to skip an invitation to an event, but changed your mind at the last minute?
Did you attend and come away glad that you did attend?  This happened to me last Saturday. Capital Health Systems for Oncology Services held a 2014 Cancer Survivors Day: Finding Your Source of  Strength event. I waited until the last minute to register. I've had a  blessed first year as a survivor. I know the Lord Jesus is the source of my strength. Why should I attend? I found out why.
Interaction with women who have walked the same path is powerful. I hugged a woman who had radiation appointments the same mornings as me a year ago. We could not remember first names, yet on Saturday we reconnected like long-lost sisters. Neither of us had to discuss how we felt sitting in the waiting room in our lovely cancer robes. We knew, no words necessary. I listened to female survivors who had many more challenges than I did, and they are still standing.


 Our guest speaker: an Oncology Social Worker, Psychotherapist, Cancer Guide, and Cancer Survivor. We  had a delicious and healthy lunch. Plus, I won a candle basket!
I left feeling more energized, resolved to continue caring for my health, and thankful to my sisters and as always, God.
Sylvia @www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment