Friday, February 15, 2013

Bingo

In a conversation today with a female acquaintance, the topic turned to things we do for recreation. She told me she likes to play Bingo once a week. I think she said the games are held in a community or church hall. I used to play Bingo as a child, and my students enjoyed the game. With the students, sometimes the winner would win a small treat (pretzels, small bag of fruit snacks, cookie, etc.). Other than playing Bingo with children, I rarely play it anymore. However, many adults I know say they have fun doing so, and Bingo prizes  now include designer purses and considerable sums of money. So why was I surprised when my acquaintance today said if people are not in the hall/game room by a certain time, they can't enter? The doors are locked at the start of the game and no one can enter until the game is over. She said this is a security measure because the winnings are "cash money" and, in an urban area, this measure keeps certain uninvited people from taking what does not belong to them. (I'm writing this in a politically correct way.) Wow...I guess I'm being naive. I never connected Bingo with getting jacked. (I did not write that in a politically correct way.)
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment