Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Writing Inspiration

Many people I meet provide the inspiration for characters in my writing. Today I spoke with a woman whose flavor is recreated in a scene from Beyond Church Doors.  She is reading this, my second novel, and paid special attention to one character's traits and conversations about her hobby.

"That sounds like the way I think about crocheting, Sylvia. How did you capture the feeling and the details so clearly?"

"I listened to you when you spoke to me about your crochet pieces and how carefully you work them. I just listened."

"No, you did more than that, Sylvia. You really heard me and got me! In this character, you show how important these crocheting projects are to me. Thank you."
I was both thankful for and humbled by her reaction.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment