Monday, March 11, 2013

Bad Files

As I work at my computer, my phone rings. I usually let the caller leave a message when I'm working, but this time I  answer the phone.
"Hello?"
"Yes, this is ---- from XXX Computer Services, and we've discovered that you just  had harmful files downloaded to your computer. These files can give your computer a virus or can make your computer run slowly."
"Who are you, and where did you say you're calling from?"
"I'm calling from XXX Computer Services, and I want to help you clean these bad files from your computer. If you'll just turn your computer on, I'll tell you how to remove these bad files from your computer. Please turn on your computer at this time."
I can hear many other people talking in the background, and the person who called me is trying to keep to a script. I envision a room full of cubicles, with a person in each cubicle trying to sell something or scam someone. I think, "If this person doesn't know that my computer is already on, she is probably up to no good. Not today."  I end the call, and shake my head.
As the old folks say, "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck."
Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment