Monday, June 10, 2013

Some Tasks Can Wait

I'm behind schedule in my writing today because I made what I thought was going to be a quick run to the store. There was only one roll of bathroom tissue left in our storage closet, and there are 3 commodes in this house. One roll left is not a good plan. While at the store, I noticed an older man who seemed to move to the opposite end of each aisle I was in. My personal radar didn't indicate danger, and there were others in the store, so I grabbed the bathroom tissue and looked for the other few items on my list. (BTW- we used to call bathroom tissue toilet paper long ago).
The older man caught up with me near the  fruit drinks. I greeted him in a friendly, respectful manner- and the flood gates opened. He walked near me and talked to me about everything from his childhood in Harlem, the value of buying a used car, a fair-minded mechanic in the township, safe and unsafe parts of our city, his lovely wife, the stores in the area with the nicest restrooms, the taxes on the house he and his wife own, and so on. I couldn't get a word in.  After about 5 minutes of smiling and nodding politely in response to his nonstop chatter, I grew a little impatient-this was supposed to be a quick stop for me. My writing task was waiting!
Then, my impatience was checked. This man just wanted someone to talk to while he  did his shopping. This was a social outlet for him. He was harmless, he needed my ear for a little while.  A few minutes more, and he wound down enough for me to say,"Okay, sir. You have a nice day." Then I moved away from him. He smiled warmly.
He's probably somebody's parent, and I wouldn't want someone to be impatient with my elderly parent. Who knows?  I might be in this man's position one day.
Anyway, I'm glad I listened to him.
Smiles,
Sylvia Brown-Roberts
www.nikkimacproductions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment