Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cold Couture

It's called a polar vortex, and this weather has much of the country in a deep freeze. Among other things, cars won't start, locks freeze so it's difficult to get into your vehicle, invisible ice threatens to make you or your vehicle slide all over the place. There's ice on the inside of your house windows. The house heater runs continuously. Thankfully, we should be getting into the 2-digit temps soon. Even 35 degrees sounds tropical compared to the temps of the last few days. This aren't complaints,  just observations. Sometimes God gives us reminders that He's in charge, and not us.
To survive this cold, we dress in layers from head to toe. While on my way outside yesterday, I looked at myself in the mirror and had to chuckle. I had on socks inside of boots with a fur trim. My  jeans were tucked into my boots. I had on a thermal undershirt with a fleece hoodie on top. I had on a coat with a hood, even though I also had a cap on my head. My hands were stuffed into knit gloves. The collar of my coat was zipped up to cover my mouth, so when I breathed through my  mouth, (because the cold air made the hair in my nostrils freeze) my breath fogged up my eyeglasses. I had a scarf wrapped around my neck.
I looked a sight! Like a toddler whose mother dresses the child in so many clothes that the child can barely move. While outside, I saw lots of others who were dressed in similar fashion.
The polar vortex  makes for some funny-looking winter couture.
Smiles, and dress warmly,
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment