Friday, November 4, 2011

Medical Insurance

Earlier today, I was in a checkout line at a big box store.  The cashier, who appeared to be in her late teens or new twenties, sighed and told me she didn't know how much longer she would be able to work because her shoulder hurt.  I expressed concern and asked if she'd told her supervisor about her pain.  The cashier said she had and that she'd also taken a pain reliever pill.  I suggested she see a doctor soon to determine the cause of the pain and what treatment might be necessary.  She replied, "I don't have any medical insurance and if I go to the free clinic I have to wait for 3 or 4 hours."  As I paid for my items and walked away, I thought about the cashier's remarks. Sometimes we take for granted the blessings we have, like medical insurance.  Many of us have preventive maintenance coverage that allows our doctors to  monitor our health without  the burden of  heavy costs to us.  Medical insurance benefits are something for which to be thankful.   I  hope the young cashier will soon go to the clinic to make sure her shoulder is okay.
Peace,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment