Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Need a Minute?

The best way to ward off a temper tantrum or a fight is to spot it before it develops.  While teaching in elementary school, I learned to notice certain facial expressions and body language while I walked my students from the multipurpose room to our classroom in the mornings.  If I noticed a particular student was having a bad start to the day, I'd gently  ask, "Do you need a minute?"  If the child did indeed need a minute, he or she would be allowed to go to the carpet area for a set period of time.  The child could sit down on the bench, read a book, or stretch out on the carpet and chill until the timer went off.  After that, the child could write me a note or briefly tell me what was going on.  That way, we could have a better start to the classroom routine and day.
What I found interesting was that some older elementary students often  needed a minute in the mornings as much as the little ones did.  I learned that I had to consider what they went through before they got to me in the morning.  Sometimes, we adults need a morning minute also.
Peace be,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment