Thursday, March 15, 2012

Future Nurse

While I was at the mall this week, I heard a young lady call me, "Miss Brown."  When that happens, it's usually one of my former third grade students. The older ones still refer to me by my maiden name because I wasn't married when they were in my class.  Out of necessity, long-time teachers usually have great name recall.  We need it because we have to memorize the first and last names of  about 15 -20  or more students each school year.  We have to match those names with the children's faces and voices, too. However, when you retire from classroom teaching and meet up with one of your former students, it may take a minute or two before you can call a name correctly.  At this week's encounter, I didn't get the name right off, but as I looked at the young lady's face and listened to her voice, her name came to me.  She seemed pleased to know that I could remember and call her name correctly. She's in  her early twenties now and is studying for a nursing career. She was on a lunch break with some of her nursing candidate colleagues.  It's so nice to see her on a successful path.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment