Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Observations From The Post Office

There was a line at the post office today, which wasn't surprising, because it was 3:40 pm by the time I got there. People were coming in after getting off work. Some observations:
At the front of the line was a man and his daughter; she resembled him. She looked to be upper elementary school age and had on a shool uniform- type outfit. They had a warm, playful interaction. He "flexed" and said,"Check out these abs." She replied, "They're more like flabs, Dad!" They both laughed.
A lady right in front of me asked for the time. When I replied, "It's 3:45," she said she was only going to wait for 5 more minutes, then she had to leave. She waited for about 45 seconds, said,"I'm not waiting," and left.
I moved up a space, behind two talking ladies. One appeared to have a job that includes cleaning out the residences or rooms of people after they die. Another was looking for a job; she had been laid off. Contact information was exchanged. It wasn't that I was eavesdropping; people rarely whisper in public anymore.
After they left, I could hear a few sighs and see some rubber-necking coming from the back of the line, which was now about 10 people deep.
The lone clerk was cool, though. She did not get rattled, was quite pleasant, and focused on one customer at a time. She didn't complain about being the only person working at the counter. I admired her sense of calm and purpose.
TTYL,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment