Friday, April 27, 2012

Neighbor Care

If I pay attention, I find out new facts on a regular basis.  Today, I listened to two women who know more about senior residential living than I do.  They told me about a couple of safety strategies employed by the medical care services at some senior condo residences. These aren't assisted care places, but residential homes/condos for active seniors.  If a resident is assumed to be at home, and not on vacation or something like that, and:
If the toilet of  a resident does not flush for an entire day, a health aide visits the residence to check on the senior citizen.
If a certain pre-selected meal time comes, and the senior is not in the dining hall,  a health aide visits  the residence to check on the senior citizen.
Interesting. I never thought about these particular safety measures, but they do make sense.  It makes me think of the long ago days when people in a community looked out for the welfare of each other without a second thought. Does the following sound familiar to anyone?
Anybody seen old Miss Clara today? She's usually sitting on the front porch by now. Son, go on over to her house and check on her; see if she's okay.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment