Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dollar Menu Fast Food

I was listening to a radio host as I drove to the gym this week. I didn't catch all of this topic, but it went something like this: a fast food restaurant chain in some state is reported to be getting rid of the dollar menu in order to deter the homeless customers. The dollar menu was referred to as the "Homeless Menu", because the homeless supposedly beg for money to buy from this menu because they can afford it. The restaurant allegedly is upping the prices from a dollar in order to handle this situation. I wonder about this...
This news item caught my attention for another reason. This week, for the first time in at least two years, I bought a cheeseburger and small order of fries from a local restaurant's dollar store menu. I was running errands, got hungry, had a healthy meal at home, but I was on the road. So I stopped, purchased those two items for takeout, and continued my errands.
Of course, I paid the price later on that evening. My body is no longer used to fast food, whether it costs a dollar or more than a dollar.
TTYL,
Sylvia

5 comments:

  1. I usually eat healthy foods, but sometimes I like to have a cheeseburger and fries; and it's nice to be able to get them off of the dollar menu.

    I don't think that it's a valid reason to "up prices" to deter struggling people (homeless) from ordering at a restaurant. In this economy, any of us are subject to being less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the $1 McDonald parfait. This is the only fast food item I eat.

    Raising prices to deter homeless customers may not be the "right" approach. But - if I was a restaurant owner, I'm sure I would not like homeless patrons (and the associated problems "homelessness" brings)hanging around my business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,
    Our economy is cause for concern, I agree. I recently heard someone say that most of us are 2-3 paychecks short of being broke. I also think that all "upping prices" may do is cause the homeless to solicit longer, then they'll still come inside to order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nikola Hartmann Studio,
    I hear you. As a restaurant owner, I'd have concerns about any groups hanging around outside my business. They should come on in and patronize the business. I have bypassed stores in town because there were guys standing in front, just looking around.
    Thanks for your remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous,
    I forgot to thank you for your remarks!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete