Thursday, September 2, 2010

Enjoy Your Moments

Now and then, I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy my moments. Like many of us, I multi-task, even when it's not necessary...
The phone rings. I answer it. I immediately go into the kitchen and slice the loaves of bread I bought earlier. I bag them for freezing. All the while, I continue my phone conversation.
While waiting for my computer to load, I run water in the kitchen sink. If the computer takes too long, I wash a few dishes while I wait.
I sometimes ask someone a question and then anticipate the answer, which means I may not fully comprehend the answer at first, because I was not fully focused on the speaker. I was in my own head.
I may have the television or the radio on while I am reading the newspaper or a book. I try to pay attention to both.
The thing is, I take a sense of accomplishment from getting more than one thing done simultaneously. What I have to remember is that I may be missing some things in my quest to get a lot of things done: smells, sounds, ideas, expressions, thoughts, and more.
When I catch myself overdoing the multi-tasking thing, I say out loud, "Sylvia, slow down and be IN this moment!"
Wishing you all the best,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment