Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sunny Days and Jump Rope Chants

People in the city were hanging around  outside today!  That's because the weather is marvelous for outside play.  The temperature is at least in the fifties.  I drove past children playing on city sidewalks, and this made me think of some of the childhood chants we used to sing while jumping rope.

"Bluebells, cockle shells, eevy ivy over.
I like coffee, I like tea.
I like the boys and the boys like me.
One, two, three..."

"A sailor went to sea, sea, sea,
To see what he could see, see, see.
And all that he could see, see, see,
Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea.
One, two, three..."

"A begins the alphabet.
AB,  CD,  EF, GH, IJ,  KL, MN, OP, QR, ST, UV, WX, YZ." (Each jumper would stay in the ropes for two letters before jumping out.)

Right now, I can't remember the chant that had the chorus of "Lady on one foot, one foot, one foot..."
It will come to memory when I stop trying to recall it.
Good childhood times!

Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment