Monday, March 7, 2011

Homemade Ginger Root Tea

A couple or so years ago, one of my book club sisters introduced me to ginger root tea.  I tasted it at a book club meeting and now I enjoy it regularly.  You make it using ginger root, which is an odd -looking plant part.  You rinse the root and chop it into pieces about one inch long.  Then you put it in a large pot of water and let it boil.  I let mine boil for at least 2 hours, adding water when needed.  I let it sit for at least a day; it gets dark- a little lighter than coffee, but darker than a weak  tea.  After it sits, I strain it and store the tea in a container in the fridge.  When I want a cup, I pour it from the container and heat it.  Some folks use honey to sweeten it, but I like it with nothing added. It is soothing to the stomach and some think with lemon and honey added, it helps with a cold. 
Some stores have ginger root that looks old and wrinkled, so I was excited to see large healthy pieces of ginger root at the supermarket today!  So surprised that I complimented the ginger root on its appearance as I found the best big piece.  The young man who was stocking the produce chuckled pleasantly.  I wasn't embarrassed, I chuckled too.
Take care,
Sylvia 

No comments:

Post a Comment