Monday, March 21, 2011

Would You?

I watched a television show this weekend that staged situations and recorded what ordinary citizens would do if they were confronted with the situations like they were the real thing.  I think it was called  "What Would You Do?"
Actors portraying a mom and her two children did a scene in a clothing store.  The mom was openly encouraging to one child, but insulting to the other.  The other shoppers reacted in various ways- ignoring this and minding their own business, showing their disapproval with facial expressions, but not confronting the mother, complaining to the store clerk.  Some comforted the sad child and spoke to the mother about her behavior.   The reporter stepped in before things got too intense and explained what was going on.  Even though I knew it was staged, and no one on the screen could hear me, I talked at my tv screen to the mother and child.  Of course, I was on the child's side. 
I'd like to think I would intervene if I saw this situation in real life.  I would hope to do so in a peaceful and compassionate manner, even if the response was for me to mind my own business.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment