Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Sign Board People

Lately I have been noticing the signboard people. They wear large signs as advertisement that a sale is going on or that a store is closing for good.  They do this to draw customers to the store.  The signs kind of wrap around these men; their heads are out at the top, hands are out at the sides.  They stand at their posts all day, from early in the morning until it gets dark. There is a main business corridor around here where one usually sees the sign people.  I feel sorry for them when it is raining outside or when it is very cold.  They have on hats and coats, but they are still outside, often in challenging weather.  I wonder if they get bored.  I wonder if they get tired of standing up all day, close to the curb.  I wonder if it's safe to inhale all the car exhaust fumes while standing so near the traffic for long periods of time each day.  I wonder if they take breaks.  It looks like an easy job on the surface, but it might be too hard for some.  Well, at least the sign people are working for their money instead of illegally taking it from others.
TTYL,
Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia, Oh my goodness, I know what you mean. I see these people all the time and I feel so bad for them. I get angry at the businesses that use people like this to do their advertising. My guess is that these people holding the signs really, really need the money. But nonetheless, it doesn't seem right. One very cold and rainy day I felt so bad for one of the men that I saw that I almost got out of my car and I was going to ask him what he got paid for holding that sign and then, assuming I could afford it, I was going to pay him and tell him to drop the sign, take my money and go home. I didn't actually do that but I might one of these days. Maybe we all need to do that and make those nasty business owners think twice about using human beings for advertising. P.S. I won't shop at the store that is advertising this way!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete