Monday, November 8, 2010

Author's Alley Experience

I was blessed to be able to participate in the 2010 New Jersey Education Association Convention's Author's Alley this month! It was exciting! I met so many intriguing people. I got the chance to discuss writing and my novel, BEHIND CHURCH DOORS. There were thirteen authors selected; a fellow author there said we were chosen out of two hundred member authors. I do not know about that number, but I was thrilled to be one of the thirteen. Some of the authors were so friendly and supportive; much conversation was in the spirit of offering helpful advice.
I have been presenting my novel for most of this year, and I have noticed some things about people:

Some people read your promotional material and quickly purchase your book. They do not need nor want a lot of conversation from the author.
Some people want to have lots of conversation with the author before they get a book.
Some people just want conversation from the author and do not wish to get a book.
Some people want a book but do not have the money to buy one.
Some people walk back and forth past you several times before they buy a book, like they are considering if they really want the book enough to buy it.
Some people avoid eye contact because getting a book from you is the last thing they plan to do.
Some people want to pick your brain about writing so they can write their own book.
All people I meet during these events are interesting and have their own personal stories. I enjoy listening to them when they share parts of their stories with me.
I am thankful for this journey.
TTYS,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment