Monday, November 1, 2010

At The Laundromat

Recently, I had to go to the laundromat because my clothes dryer stopped working. Of course, it stopped working after I had put a load of wet clothes in the night before. When I heard the dryer stop, I went to bed. The next day, I opened the dryer door to get my clothes and they were still damp. It turned out that the dryer basket had stopped turning. No spinning. No dry clothes. Off to the laundromat for me.
Before I had a dryer, I went to the laundromat on a regular basis (when I did not dry my clothes at the home of my parents). I remembered the routine: get your change (usually quarters) ready for the machines, take your own detergent and dryer softener sheets (this saves you money), get there before the crowds, take something to read, take a snack and some water to drink.
This time, I went to a laundromat that was more modern than the ones I used to visit. There were 2 large screen televisions mounted up high. "The View" was on the screens for the time I was there. There was comfortable seating, many folding tables, vending machines for food and drink as well as for laundry products, and there was even an attendant on duty. She was quite pleasant. She opened the door for me as I carried my baskets out to the car. I saw her patiently demonstrate for another customer how to use a washer. There were about 5 other people there, but it was roomy enough that we did not get in each other's way. It was low-key and except for the television, quiet.
I read a sign: "You are to stay with your clothes and get them out of the dryers when dry. We will remove your dry clothes if you are not here and another customer needs the dryer." That seemed fair to me.
It took me less than 30 minutes to dry and fold my 2 baskets of clothes. I am glad I had access to the laundromat that day.
I know one thing, though. I am thankful for my modest home appliances. I should not take these home conveniences for granted. It is so easy to walk downstairs to my home "laundromat", any time of day or night, even in my pajamas, and do laundry. I don't even have to have quarters!
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment