Monday, November 29, 2010

A Lesson in the Ladies Room

There is an elderly sister member of our congregation who is not able to attend sevices now due to health problems. She has always been a faithful member, with a lively sense of humor and a sweet, humble spirit. She wore hats to church and she wore them well. I used to tease her about carefully going up under her hat to greet her with a kiss. Boy, did that make her laugh! She was one of the earlier members of the congregation; I was a child when we met. She knew and loved my parents, and especially enjoyed talking and laughing with my late father.
One Sunday, I learned a lesson from her in the church ladies room. I noticed that she never left the ladies room without wiping down the sink counter, getting rid of the excess soap that dripped from the dispenser or drops of water that may have splashed from handwashing.
I was curious about this, so I asked, "Sister, why do you always wipe the counter before you leave the ladies room? Here you are, with a cane, and you clean up after someone who left before you."
She smiled and replied, "Gotta do my job, Baby. Cannot leave the place a mess!"
After that encounter, I began to pay more attention and noted that almost every sister over the age of fifty did the same sink counter routine. Whether they made the mess or not, they wiped down the sink counter before leaving the ladies room. They wanted the church ladies room to look good. Now I do the same thing; it began with my teenager. It is my turn to model this behavior for other young sisters at church.
I am thankful for faithful elderly sisters who set the right example with a loving spirit.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment