Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Parade 2010

I am glad that I attended our local 2010 Thanksgiving Parade. My parents used to take us regularly when we were children. It was one of our family traditions. Back then, the climax of the parade was when Santa Claus arrived on a big red fire truck and climbed up the ladder to the top level of City Hall. Wow! We children would get so giddy.
It was over twenty years ago when I last attended this parade. I was with my Dad and two of my nephews. Even as adults, my siblings and I hung out with my parents, another one of our family traditions. Dad is at his rest now, but we still hang out with Mom. We enjoy being together. This is a blessing.
As in past times at the Thanksgiving Parade, the faces of the children were gleeful. I found myself cheering along with them. We saw drill and step teams, go carts and motorcycles, floats, veteran soldiers, vendors, church processions, politicians, civic group representatives, beauty queens, cultural group representatives, fraternity and sorority youth groups, lodge groups, Mrs. New Jersey, parent groups, a Fife and Drum group, and the high school ROTC. The mayor and his family rode on a float. There was free hot chocolate and popcorn for the children. Santa and his helpers showed up, too. There were also costumed characters from popular childrens' programs; they walked the parade route and interacted with the crowd. The children loved it! My two favorites were the green and yellow Teletubbies, because inside those costumes were my teenager and my spouse. What fun!
Enjoy your day,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment