Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chopping Greens

Last night I cleaned and chopped fresh collard greens, then bagged and stored them in the freezer.  That way, I will have some vegetables on hand for a meal at another time.  This is another of the many wonderful and helpful  skills my mother taught me long ago.  After I washed the greens, I rolled 3 or 4 leaves at a time together and chopped.  I was amazed at how fast my right hand moved the knife blade while the fingers on my left hand seemed to instinctively know when to move back on the rolled greens.  They got out of the way so only the collard greens got  cut.  This happened repeatedly even though I did not have to think hard about it. 
It's like when I am in the dentist's chair and he cleans and polishes my teeth.  My tongue automatically moves out of the way of the dental tools. It protects itself.
I do not know if the technical term for this is reflex action,  but I know that God made our bodies capable of doing some marvelous things.
TTYL,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment