Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Locking Shopping Carts

I was in the parking lot of one of  my favorite dollar stores recently.  I saw a shopping cart near a car and decided to take it into the store and use it instead of getting a cart inside the store.   I thought I would be a good citizen and get the stray cart away from someone's car, where it might roll into the car and damage the paint.
Imagine my surprise when no  matter how hard I tried to move the cart, the back wheels would not roll.  I could not see anything obstructing the rear wheels, except one of them had a metal cuff of some sort.  Finally, I read the sign inside the cart.  It explained that this dollar store now had  its shopping carts equipped with  devices that lock the rear wheels if the carts are taken beyond a certain place in the parking lot. 
I understand this is a deterrent for shopping cart theft.  I guess I did not realize that there was such a need for this deterrent.  I am one of those people who returns my cart to the store or the rack after I am done with it. I did not know shopping carts were in such demand.  You learn something new every single day.
TTYL,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment