Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hot Peppers

I have a tip for you.  When cooking with hot green peppers, always rinse your hands thoroughly after slicing them.  I heard this before, but it was reinforced by a kitchen experience earlier today.
I carefully sliced the peppers and cleaned out the membranes and seeds. The hosts on cooking shows encourage  this practice in order to control the amount of heat in your dish.    I started out with the knife, then used my fingers to hold the pepper slices while I diced them.  I put the peppers in the pot, along with the other ingredients.   I rinsed my hands quickly. Then, the side of my nose began to itch, so I rubbed it.  Then, I scratched right under my eyebrow. You know what happened next.  Hot! Hot! Hot!  I washed my hands really well, even under the fingernails, and rinsed repeatedly before doing the same to my face. 
There's only a faint tingle now.  Lesson learned.  Tip passed on.
Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment