Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Playground Sounds

I spent most of my professional life as a teacher in a public school building.  After many years, I retired from that role and now there is an elementary school located not too far away from my house. Elementary schools have specific sounds, and the one near me provides the playground sounds with which I am so familiar.
Most people who have worked with children can tell the sounds of organized play from the sounds of  free-for-all running around.  The sounds of  competitive games differ from the sounds of  jumprope.  The sound of the big, bouncy, red Dodge ball is unique. The sounds of  friendly teasing are different from the sounds of  bullying. The sound of a whistle usually indicates that a gym class is in session. The sudden absence of sound in a cluster of children usually means there is going to be a fight because someone is about to get snuck.   The sound of children lining up to go back into the building differs from the sound  of them coming outside  to begin recess.
I especially enjoy the joyful playground sounds of children being children.
TTYL,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment