Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pyrotechnics

Fiction writers often spend lots of time observing their surroundings and listening to the people they meet.  You never know when you will hear  something interesting that can be woven into a story.  You  have to keep your writing eyes and ears open, though, or you may miss a gem. While in the waiting room of a medical facility this morning, I had a conversation with an interesting person.  Mostly, I listened, because what he shared with me was stuff I did not know.  He is a pyrotechnician.  He engineers and works those fantastic fireworks shows, like the ones we can view at parks during the 4th of July  celebrations.  This man is a licensed professional, and I found out that there is a lot more to a professional fireworks display than lighting a firecracker.  A pyrotechnician has a license that must be renewed annually. The fireworks  shows involve extensive planning and all types of safety precautions before, during, and after the events. I was told that the fireworks practice was brought over by the early colonists from England, where fireworks there were for the exclusive use of the royalty.  I learned about websites that show licensed fireworks celebrations.
Now, let me see how I can slip some of this info  into my developing second novel.  Perhaps some intrigue during  a holiday fireworks show  where the bright lights and exploding sounds provide a distraction for...
Thank you, Mr. Pyrotechnician.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment