Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Magic Pill

I know I am late to the party, so to speak, but I just viewed the movie, Limitless. The gist of it is that a small, clear pill allows one to use the 70 or so percent of the human brain that we do not use.  As a result, people who take the pill become super creative, successful, and productive.  They even get enhanced physical abilities. The pill is not on the  mainstream market and has not been tested.  The lead actor takes the pill, stops dragging his feet, and immediately completes his first draft of what becomes a best selling novel.  He becomes a genius in the stock market and business.  He becomes rich and sought after by both good and unfortunately, bad people.  It is later revealed that  if you develop a habit of taking the pill, then you stop taking the pill, you get sick and die.
At first, I wondered if I would take such a pill, even if temporarily.  I could finish my next few novels in a couple of weeks.  I could learn to speak several languages in one day. I could make lots of money to pay all my bills, travel and buy property, and donate to family, the church, others.  Yet, when I weighed the consequences of an untested substance in my body, and what I might have to do to get a steady supply, I concluded I would not take the pill.  Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment