Thursday, August 19, 2010

Smile at a Child

Have you ever noticed that children really recognize when adults smile at them? Maybe it's because from the time infants come into this world, some adult is smiling, cooing, grinning, and talking happy gibberish into their little baby faces. Children continue to take note of this form of adult approval as they get older. Even teenagers appreciate when adults smile genuinely in their direction, although they may try not to show it. This makes me think of what happened to me at the mall last Saturday. I wore a novelty tee shirt, one with a big picture of "Grumpy" from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" on the front. He had his arms crossed and a major frown on his face. I forgot what was on my shirt until a little girl approached me. She looked about 3 years old, and her Mom held one of her tiny hands. The little girl noticeably spotted sour-faced "Grumpy" on my shirt, and swung at him/me with her stubby little free arm! I was more tickled than upset, because the little girl did not like the mean-looking character on my shirt. It wasn't personal.
Smile at a child today.
TTYS,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment