Friday, January 7, 2011

A Blood Draw

I had to go to the lab for blood work today.  It is truly not one of my favorite activities, but every now and then,  it is necessary.  Think about it.  Who really feels relaxed while a stranger ties a rubber tube around your upper arm and pats around the inside of your elbow, looking  for a vein to show itself?
Who feels relaxed when the technician tells you to make a fist, and then swabs some cold alcohol on your arm?  You know what is coming next!
What about those little vials? I always count how many of them they plan to fill with my valuable blood.  When the moment of puncture arrives, I usually close my eyes.  Then,  I quickly open them to see if my blood is cooperating by flowing quickly into the vial. 
Finally, the part comes when the tech removes the needle from my vein and puts a cotton ball on the puncture spot and asks me to press down on it. 
Then, the tech covers the cotton ball with adhesive  tape, and I am so out of that chair!  Happy to leave!

 Oh, right before my turn at the lab today, there was a toddler who was there for a blood draw.  Listening to him pulled on my heartstrings.  I plan to tell you about that next week. 

Wishing you all the best,
Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia...we must be related. I totally do the same thing with bloodwork! I take a peak at the vials then quickly look away while the technician stabs me with the needle. Then I take a quick peak to make sure all is flowing okay but then have to look away again, lest I pass out. And, I bet I run out of there faster than you do. Oh, I also try to make small talk with the technician hoping they won't stab me too hard! That also works great in the dentist office, the more small talk, the less time the dental hygienist has to poke and prod your gums!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete