Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Magazine Excess

Next on my list of things to pare down are my subscription magazines.  I only subscribe to two for relaxation reading, but as of today I am ending those subscriptions.  The reason for that is I have so many back issues that are unread.  One of my weird things is that I have a hard time throwing away magazines without reading them first.  I feel like I may miss reading some helpful hints or other information I should know about.
This was not so much a problem when I was teaching, because I made sure to read the magazines before I took them to my classroom.  My students enjoyed reading some of the articles about their history, and looking at the pictures and using them in art or writing projects.  They knew they could tear out the pages or cut out their favorite pictures.  My students would ask me for new issues after I read them and this would prompt me to keep up.
Now, for some reason, I do not get around to reading the magazines on schedule, and they have piled up.
I will give myself to the end of January 2011 to get caught up with reading the magazines that are here before I bring another one into the house.  Onward and  upward I go!

TTYS,
Sylvia

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I stopped all of my subscriptions and I still receive education and higher education magazines. I guess that I'm on some mailing list.

    I have to "carve out" time at work to read them because I have to keep current.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate! I still get some of those because I am a member of some professional education associations due to my consulting work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia...I have the same problem. I have a stack of magazines that it takes me months to read and I can't get rid of them until I read them all! But do you read them cover to cover? Though I don't read every article, I have to at least look at the page or the pictures on every page...and no skipping around from back to front or reading something in the middle first! How OCD is that!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete