Monday, January 24, 2011

Put On Your Winter Coat!

I notice that teen girls, including my teen, often sacrifice comfort for fashion in terms of what style of coat or jacket they wear outside in this frigid weather.  What they call a coat, I call a jacket.  To me, a coat covers you at least to your knees.  For lots of the teens I see, like the ones I saw walking home from high school this afternoon, the short  black jacket  or navy  jacket is popular, but it does not cover too much beyond the waist.  My teen tries to compensate for this by wearing tights under her jeans and says this keeps her warm.  The girls also wrap long scarves around their necks and faces.  They also wear gloves and sometimes hats. 
 I remember being a teen girl.  I remember that fashion was so important.  I also remember our parents' expressions when they saw some of our outfits.   Sometimes, my mother would make me change so that I would not  "Freeze to death!" 
These teen girls look stylish in their jeans and and short jackets,  and I know they want to look fashionable, but when the temperature is in the single digit degrees outside, the girls also look cold!
Stay warm,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment