Thursday, December 30, 2010

At the Mall

I learned something new at the mall today.  First of all, I was there to fulfill  a promise to my teenager: two hours to shop and spend the money she received as holiday gifts.  I said goodbye for now to her as soon as we left JC Penney.  I began my stroll to find Dansko clogs; she took off like a rocket for Forever 21.
After about an hour or so of strolling, I found my clogs and  then stopped at the food court to nourish, get water, and get off my feet. I sat where I could watch the two side by side flat screen monitor/television screens that were mounted high above the bustling food court.  There were so many people;  lots of teens in the area where I sat!  Probably because the screens continuously played  music videos.  Here is the new thing I learned today: the screen on the left instructed  "Play your favorite music videos free.  Text the code to -----."  There followed about three letters and four digits of code, a different code for each video.  The text was charged to the user's  phone as a regular text fee.  The screen on the right played the selected videos.  There was also a message to Tweet requests for desired music videos.  In essence, the audience in the food court could enter the codes on their phones and direct which music videos we all watched.  I watched videos of Janelle Monae,  Rihanna, Nelly, Neo,  MC Hammer, Nicki Minaj,  Jay-Z,  and several others while I ate my sandwich. 
What a concept!
Back in the day, we had these little jukebox devices at the booths in some restaurants.  You'd put in money, select the song, and it played.   No videos back then.  Now,  we can text both the video and the music.
Wow!
TTYL,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment