Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Feral Cats and the Headless Mouse

For the last couple of years, we have had feral cats in our neighborhood and now on our street. At first it was one or two, but then someone started feeding them and making them feel comfortable. Now there are probably three or four of them. I read that they don't like to make contact with humans, and that is fine with me. When one of them sees me coming in or out of my house, it moves away. They are awesome in appearance, like housecats on steroids. They have big heads and shoulders, and they must be heavy, because when one jumps on or off my front ledge, (where they like to park themselves), there is a thumping sound.
This summer, I witnessed one of them chase a squirrel up a tree. The squirrel was faster, but I was surprised that big cat could move so fast!
Also this summer, I saw a dead field mouse that had no head on it. It was on the ground near the garage. I think one of the cats bit the head off and played with the mouse body. I covered the headless mouse body with some grass, but when I checked a few hours later, it was gone. Maybe the cat came back for it.
Anyway, the feral cats have staked a claim and we have not been able to make them go yet. In fact, I think I heard one snoring on my outside front ledge last night. That cat has some nerve!
TTYS,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment