Friday, December 24, 2010

Children and Chicken Pot Pie

I enjoy children.  My professional career as well as my personal life involves teaching and guiding them.   I especially like to work with children of preschool and elementary age. 
However, when I go out to a restaurant for a meal, I would rather not be exposed to little children who are in charge of the adults who brought them out to eat.
Last night, I was enjoying a freshly-made chicken pot pie at a diner.  It was delicious!  The conversation with my two dinner companions was quite pleasant.  Before we were seated,  I  heard the sounds of two little children coming from the booth to my left, but since we were separated by a wooden divider, I could not see the people  in the booth.  However, I could hear a verbal tug of war between the adults and the children.
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move!  I looked up into the cute face of a  2 or 3 year-old  child. She was standing in the seat, ignoring the adults with her, who kept asking her to sit down.  Well, not to be outdone, the other little child stood up and attempted to hang over the divider also.  For a few minutes, they played the peekaboo, wave food around, and ignore the adults game. I thought I was going to have to gently speak to the adults, but when they finally realized the children would not listen to them, they got up and left.
Sometimes situations just work themselves out.
I continued on with my chicken pot pie and pleasant conversation.
Enjoy your holidays!
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment