Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sweet Words

Yesterday, I took a senior citizen to the doctor's office. When she went into a room for a consultation, I took out my notepad as I usually do, and prepared to write while I waited. Patients came in consistently, and what caught my attention was the pleasant smile, helpful voice, positive spirit, and respectful nature of the receptionist. Some patients came in and spoke broken or little English. The receptionist took time to find out what they needed. At least two patients came in without an appointment. Instead of turning them away, or showing exasperation, the receptionist walked them through the appointment process. One man did not know the phone number of his referring doctor; the receptionist looked it up for him before calling his doctor for him.
This was a young woman, she must have been in her middle or late twenties!
I was so impressed. At the same time, it is sobering to note that one does not often meet extreme patience and assistance when seeking some service.
When we were about to leave the office, I said to her, "I must commend you on your wonderful manner with the patients."
My senior citizen chimed in, "You certainly are the right person for a patient to see when they enter the office! You put us at ease!"
She smiled even more brightly and thanked the two of us.
It feels nice to say sweet words to people. It feels nice to hear sweet words from people, too.
Take care,
Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. This world could use a lot more kindness, patience and respect. Thanks for your blog Sylvia!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete