Friday, December 17, 2010

Giving Gifts, Receiving Gifts

I was late in starting this writing task today because I was near the tv when part one of Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things came on. It was a repeat, but since I had not seen it the first time, it was new to me. Oprah Winfrey gave away outstanding and largely expensive gifts to her audience, who in this case, were people who had given back to others.
I was fascinated. I did not know what to look at first - the gifts, the excited faces of the audience, or Oprah's apparent joy at giving the gifts. The giving started out with a special edition diamond watch, a designer tote bag and matching shoes, a Nikon camera, a famous designer special edition cashmere sweater and scarf, a designer pair of earrings, and Oprah's hairdresser's new line of hair care products. Oprah has hair that always looks great, so those products got a lot of favorable audience response from the ladies.
Everyone in the audience received each of these gifts, brought out to them by special "Santa's elves", who looked happy to be delivering the gifts. The retail price for each of these items was hundreds of dollars. The excitement level was so high that the show had medics standing by if audience members required medical assistance. There was much laughing, crying of joyful tears, calling out God's name, fanning, squealing, clapping, jumping, and shouting going on.
I walked away from the television after about fifteen minutes, because my mouth was open in amazement, and my writing was calling me. I am clear that life is not all about material things, and that good spiritual and physical health is more important than expensive gifts. However, I admit that I would not have declined if I had been given a chance to be part of that audience. I'm just saying.
TTYS,
Sylvia

2 comments:

  1. Let me know when she is giving away the car...or the million dollars!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete