Friday, December 10, 2010

A Little Bit of Hassle with a Smile

I belong to a book order club. This is the way I purchase most of the books I read. The club sends you brochures about the featured selections, along with a response card. If you don't want to order the featured selections or alternate books, or anything else from the brochure, you mail in the response card marked NO by the deadline. If you do not respond, the 2 featured selections are mailed to you and you remit payment. This usually works quite well, so I have been doing business with this company for years.
This week, they sent me 2 books, but I had already mailed in the NO response card. At first, I was going to keep and pay for them. I did not want the hassle of mailing them back to the company, but they were not books I was interested in reading. Anyway, I have a stack of unread books that I plan to read.
Then, I was going to try and make the books "fit" someone on my holiday giftlist. It was too much of a stretch, so I took them to the post office today, waited in line, and mailed them back. I made a sound financial decision, because the cost of the two unrequested books was about forty-one dollars. The cost to mail them back to the company was less than five dollars. I will ask to be credited for that, too. Sometimes, you have to deal with a little bit of hassle in order to get what you want. You can even do it with a smile.
Happy reading!
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment