Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Goodbye Friend

I just returned from the funeral of a dear friend.  Actually, I attended the viewing and left before the funeral started.  I do not like to attend funerals, but I know they are necessary for the family and friends of the departed. My friend had been fighting illness for many years, but did so with determination, grace, and faith.  She always had a smile and was a mother figure to so many people.  She loved children and they loved her back. She loved to talk.
I am thankful for the privilege of knowing her for so many years, and I smile as I think of so many of the funny words and wise words she said in our times together. 
That's the way I choose to remember her: animated, caring, and warm.  She and I had a close conversation not so long ago, and it was good.  Her familiar parting words were, "Sylvia, God loves you, and so do I."
I am sure she would not mind that I left the service early.  She knew I cared about her.
Is there an ailing loved one you plan to visit soon?
Keep the faith,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment