Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Two Needles At Once

Yesterday, I took my teen to the doctor's office.  She had to have two vaccinations because she is college summer program -bound.  It appears the law requires these shots for those entering colleges, camps, and other sites where there are a large number of young people living in close proximity.  These vaccinations guard against  certain illnesses.  My teen is needle-phobic, so I was not sure this would be easy.  In the hope of minimizing the drama, I gave her a  pep talk before the staff entered.  When the staff entered with two needles in hand, they asked my teen if she would  prefer one in each shoulder at the same time; it would be easier.  My teen looked at me with trust in her eyes, and said, "Okay."  I faced her and hugged her knees for comfort and reassurance, and before we knew it, it was over!  My teen did not holler, cry, or flail!  She did, however, roll her eyes at the two ladies with the needles.  I allowed her that, and gave her a big hug.  I was proud of her courage.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment