Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Extended Warranties

I went to a store to buy a new cordless phone.  Before I could choose the model I wanted, the salesperson asked if I wanted an extended warranty for free battery replacement and for phone replacement for a year.  It was not expensive, under ten dollars.  I  think most products come with a one year manufacturer's warranty, so now I guess  stores entice  you to buy a second year right off the top.  I got to thinking about how many purchases I make now where I am asked if I want to purchase an extended warranty.  Do they expect the product to fall apart on day 366 of ownership? What happened to good product workmanship?  Maybe the secret is that companies make lots of money on purchased extended warranties. What if nothing goes wrong with the product?  Think  about how many products you have purchased and also bought an extended warranty.   Interesting...
Take care,
Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sylvia,
    So true. I never buy extended warranties. My understanding is that they are virtually worthless.
    One of the biggest "rip offs" is insurance for your phone.

    ReplyDelete