Monday, April 4, 2011

Interrupting

I watched a few talk shows recently and noticed one similarity:  the hosts  kept interrupting the guests or talking while someone else was talking.  I wanted to tell them to wait their turn, that a conversation  consists of one person talking while the other person listens, then talks.  I know there are exceptions, like at my Book Club meetings, where we all talk at once.  However, we have an unspoken rule that this is allowed, and that we are not being rude.  We understand this rhythm.  On a television show, however, the format is different.  It is supposed to be communication that benefits the audience.
Oh well, this week, I am going to practice not interrupting.  I plan to listen with care and patience, no matter how marvelous I think it would be for others to hear my  point.
Take care,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment