Saturday, April 30, 2011

Grocery Store Science

I was aware of the fact that stores set up their environment to entice us to spend our money, but I was reminded in a recent article and tv program that shopping is a science.  People study us to understand how to best make the spending happen.  This is quite interesting science about grocery stores:
The dairy case is placed in the back of the store because most people want milk or other dairy and this strategy  pulls the customer through more of the store.  The customer sees more products, which increases the odds for more spending.
Promotions and other stimulating setups in the store make the customer stay longer.  The longer customers stay, the more they spend.
The beautiful produce section is  often to the right as  customers enter, and is often specially lit to make the produce gorgeous and enticing. The bakery section is often in the front also. Some studies show that customers tend to go to the right when they enter the grocery store.
When I learn more about this science, I will write about it.  For now, I am heading to the market to see if I can buck science and turn left after I enter.
Smiles,
Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment